I’ve got a confession to make.
More than a decade ago, I became disillusioned with the genealogy and family history community.
- At the local level, I didn’t feel like there was a consistent voice for people of color to learn or stay challenged as they grew as researchers.
- At the national level, there have always been conferences and events, but until MAAGI, there have been few consistent and challenging environments for people of color to gather where they can attend multiple sessions over multiple days and feel like they walked away with something.
- Online, we’ve thankfully had Afrigeneas, but as social media came on the scene and evolved, most of the site’s operations are now on Facebook, where a thriving community continues. On the flip side, the sheer size of Facebook groups make it hard to address the needs of researchers of all skill levels, especially those who are intermediate to advanced.
So, in 2020, I decided to stop talking about it and actually do something.
Let’s get real honest for a second.
- Are you tired of going to genealogy society meetings, or subscribing to websites, where it seems like you don’t learn a thing, or there are few options that speak directly to you?
- Have Facebook genealogy groups only filled the void for so long, and you want to connect with other likeminded people, where you’re constantly learning and growing in your research?
- Are you frustrated with attending conferences because of their lack of sessions for people of color?
- Are you just beginning your genealogy journey and you need support to get you to your goals?
- Are you unable to travel – or are you short on time – but you still want to participate and get something out of your family history research experience?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, then what I’ve come up with is just for you.
Beginning in 2020, I’ve started a membership based site for those who answered yes to any of the questions above, and more, of course! Starting at just $5 a month, you can get access to my Patreon page which is updated frequently with videos, posts, tips and tricks, things I find off the beaten path, polls, opportunities for feedback, and more!
Patron membership tiers can include:
- your name in the end credits of every episode of BlackProGen LIVE
- recordings and syllabi for the Figure It Out Fridays webinar series. Initial viewing is always going to be free but the meat is in the recording and handout, right?!?
- early bird registration access to Figure It Out Fridays. Space is limited. Wouldn’t it be great not to have to worry about that?
- viewer access and/or submissions to the Work It! Livestream. This is where you watch me work my magic on queries submitted by top tier patrons, online, in real time.
- viewer access and/or live participation and access to recordings for small group sessions. Gather together with me and selected fellow patrons to work through genealogy queries and assignments as a group.
- individual coaching sessions. I work with you live (by phone or video) where we can talk one-on-one and I guide you through solving your individual genealogy and family history conundrums.
- live participation, recording access, and digital syllabi for The Vault webinars. Missed the opportunity to see me present live? Or, maybe you were there but wish it was recorded? Get access to additional webinars that have only been seen at conferences, institutes and the like that aren’t available elsewhere or require a separate membership to a genealogical society or website to access them.
And that’s just the beginning.
If this thing is a car, the gas is you, the patron. It simply cannot move without your involvement and participation. I’ll be asking you exactly what you want to hear more about or discuss. As this grows, I have MUCH bigger plans for what it will be, but baby steps, right?
We deserve this.
It’s time to stop waiting to be given a consistent seat at the table. We have voices and histories that exist outside of the various people of color history months. Our ancestors and their stories are JUST as worthy as anyone else.