Upcoming Events and Webinars
Free webinar. Registration required. One of the most important sources of genealogy information is oral history. Learn the tips, tricks, and more to get the most information from the family members you interview.
Figure It Out Fridays free webinar. Registration required. In this session, learn how to find, search and distill the information from court records from the comfort of your home or at your local library or FamilySearch Library!
Figure It Out Fridays free webinar. Registration required. Using a real family, learn how to glean and process information on these two census sets, how to pursue the leads they contain, and how to reconcile all of it to get a better picture of your ancestors during the beginnings of the Great Migration into the economic downturn known as the Great Depression.
July 7-9, 2020
September 18-19, 2020
8:00am to 4:00pm Pacific
Conference. Keynote speaker. Sponsored by California Pioneer Heritage Foundation. Held at the Sacramento FamilySearch Library. Registration required. *Rescheduled from March 14, 2020*
October 14-17, 2020
Previously Recorded Webinars
Photography for Genealogy, Finding Isaac Rogers, Full Circle: Tracing the Descendants of a Slaveholding Ancestor, The Family DNA Project, Get set, GO! Planning and Executing a Successful Research Trip, Case Studies in Gray: Identifying Shared Ancestries Through DNA and Genealogy, Newspapers for People of Color Genealogy. Membership required in order to view.
Guess what? i talk alot.
Previous Press and
- The Census Is More Than Just a Form. It’s a Window Into the History of American Families, Jennifer Mendelsohn, Time
- “The bitter harvest of Richard Bibb: A descendant of slavery confronts her inheritance,” Lonnae O’Neal, The Undefeated
- “A genealogist’s discovery: ‘Ventress owned my family,” Blake Alsup, The Daily Mississippian
- “I got bacon in my DNA,” Brown Girls Do Podcast, Episode 3
- “Weaving our Ancestral Threads,” Mother’s Quest Podcast, Episode 50
- “4 Easy-to-Follow Steps for African-American Genealogy Newbies,” FamilySearch Blog
- “How DNA is ‘changing everything’ about genealogy,” Aubrey Eyre, The Deseret News
- WACKY Wednesday with DearMYRTLE – GenealogydotCoach
- Discovering Ties to Slavery with Genealogy and DNA
- Making Sense Out of Your DNA Results
- The Ultimate Family History Interview Primer
- Getting Youth Involved with Genealogy
- Indian Territory Freedmen Family History
- The African American Genealogy Bloggers
- Cool Ideas for Involving Youth in Genealogy
- RootsTech 2018 Wrap-Up
- Challenges in Searching for Your African American Roots